- Downtown OWA
Join us on October 2nd for Oktoberfest featuring German-inspired fun, games and entertainment throughout Downtown OWA.
October 2, 2021
Join us in OWA’s entertainment district for Oktoberfest on Saturday, October 2nd! Oktoberfest is a free event, open to spectators and competitors looking to join in on some German-inspired fun.
Catch traditional Oktoberfest-themed live music, dancing, and entertainment! Plus enjoy your fill of delicious food and beer specials throughout Downtown OWA restaurants. Want to compete for cash? Get your team of 4 together and register for the Oktoberfest Gauntlet featuring German-inspired beer games in Downtown OWA! We’re giving away a total of $1500 in prize money for first, second and third place teams.
Team Games Include:
- Stein Holding Contest
- Thumb Wrestling
- Pretzel Eating Contest provided by Auntie Anne’s!
- Beer Sliding
- Yodeling Competition
- Plus a bonus round for Best Group Costume!
Team registration starts at 4pm.
Oktoberfest Food & Drinks
C’est Le Vin Wine Bar & Shop – Tucher Helles Hefe Weizen, Weihenstephaner Original Premium, Weihenstephaner Korbinian Dopplebock, Weihenstephaner Festbier, Bitburger Premium Pils, König Ludwig Weissbier. And of course we will also have German Wine available
Lucy’s Retired Surfers Bar & Restaurant – Warsteiner Octoberfest and German Beer Cheese Dip
Auntie Anne’s/Cinnabon – Buy any 2 pretzel items, get 1 free.
Groovy Goat – Weihenstephauer Vitus – Bratwurst with Sauerkraut and Mashed Potatoes
Rum Island Daquiri Bar – Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier
Murder Creek Distillery – German Tea Cocktail made with their Dixie Honey Moonshine.
Oktoberfest Games Official Rules of Competition
- Stein Holding Contest: Each contestant will hold a 1-liter Stein filled with a beverage with one arm completely stretched out and parallel to the floor. You must hold the stein if possible, in this position. The official referee will decide when the contestant’s time is complete
- 0-30 seconds – 0 points
- 31-60 seconds – 1 point
- 61-120 seconds – 2 points
- 121-180 seconds – 3 points
- 181-300 seconds – 4 points
- 300+ Seconds – 5 points
- Pretzel Eating Contest- (4) contestants will compete against each other to see who can eat (6) pretzels the fastest
- 1st place team/ person who consumes all 6 pretzels first- 6 points
- 2nd place- 4 points
- 3rd place- 2 points
- 4th place- 0 points
- Thumb Wrestling: The object of the game is to defeat your opponent by pinning their thumb whilst saying “one two three four, I win thumb-o-war” Contestants from two teams will randomly choose numbers 1-4 and will be matched up with opposing contestants. Contestants will face each other standing and grasp right hands together. The ref will verify the thumbs are sticking up and state, “one two three four I declare a thumb war” The round will go on for 60 seconds, if there is no winner, the winner will be decided by a sudden death Rock Paper Scissor match.
- Winner – 2 points
- Loser – o points
- Beer Sliding: All four contestants on a team must compete in this game. One team member will slide a full stein to the other three teammates who must catch the stein before it hits the ground. They can simply catch it by the bottom, by the handle with their pointer finger and thumb or try to get creative as a team for maximum points. The points will be determined by a panel of judges and each team will receive three attempts and can keep their highest score.
- Catching the mug – 1 point
- Catch by handle with pointer and thumb – 3 points
- Creative catch – 4-10 points determined by judge panel.
- Yodeling Contest: 1 person from each team will compete head-to-head to see who yodels the best, as determined by the judge.
- Winner – 4 points
- Loser – 0 points
- Costume Contest: Bonus points may be awarded to teams who come in costume. Points will be awarded when contestants arrive at the registration tent.
- Came in noticeable costume – 3 points